Included in raw animal food diets are any food that can be eaten raw, such as uncooked, unprocessed meats/organ-meats/eggs, raw dairy, and aged, raw animal foods such as century eggs, rotting (fermenting) meat/fish/shellfish/kefir
I just came back from L.A. and found out actors such as Demi Moore, Mel Gibson, Woody Harrelson, and Uma Thurman all follow the Raw Food Diet.
- Raw foods include digestive enzymes (such as amylases, proteases, and lipases) which aid digestion, meaning that the body’s own enzymes may work unimpeded in regulating the body’s metabolic processes, and heating food above 104-120 degrees Fahrenheit degrades or destroys these enzymes in food. Eating food without enzymes makes digestion more difficult, which could lead to toxicity in the body and cause excess consumption of food, obesity and chronic disease, such as metabolic syndrome, which some studies suggest affects up to 25% of the U.S. population. Digestive enzymes are a limited resource in the body and eating cooked foods will deplete these enzymes.
- Raw foods include bacteria and other micro-organisms that affect the immune system and digestion by populating the digestive tract with beneficial gut flora. These are generally killed by cooking. In addition, many Raw-Foodists, particularly Primal-Dieters, are believers in the hygiene hypothesis, a concept which focuses on the health benefits of exposure to parasites and harmful bacteria which builds natural resistance.
- Raw foods have higher nutrient values than foods which have been cooked. In addition, processed food and convenience food often contain excitotoxins (flavor enhancers) which can cause excitotoxicity. Foods with added chemicals, preservatives, additives, colouring agents/dyes of any kind are frowned upon by raw-foodists.
- Wild foods (or natural foods) are more nutritious than domesticated foods or industrially produced foods.
- Cooked foods contain harmful toxins which cause chronic disease and other problems, Heating oils and fats can produce trace amounts of trans fats. Heating sugars with proteins or fats can produce advanced glycation end products.
- Raw foods like fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidants and thus help to stifle signs of aging.
- Eating cooked foods can lead to acidosis.
- Raw Foodists believe that opioid peptides, present in cooked foods, are not only harmful but highly addictive.