- READ A BOOK — There is a saying that “knowledge is power.” Talk to your trainer and read some reviews about exercise and wellness books and find one that you can read and learn something from. This isn’t supposed to be a return to study hall, but rather it should be time you set aside to improve yourself and seek out some easy to digest education. Just keep in mind, the great ideas you get from a book are only great if you use them.
- GO EXTRACURRICULAR — There is only so much you can do with your personal trainer, so it can help you speed up the process of getting to your goal if you do some additional exercise outside of your regular sessions. Whether it’s going for a run, doing an extra workout or just taking the dog for a long walk, it all helps to increase your fitness and well-being. Make sure you let your trainer know you are adding to your regular sessions (i.e. communicate) so he or she doesn’t push you too hard. Use the rule of the thumb that most people can safely increase their physical activity by about 10% per week.
- TAKE A COOKING CLASS — Nutrition is one of the most important parts of any fitness program, whether or not it’s for weight management. The proper food and how to prepare it are crucial to your success. Look for a cooking class that emphasizes the kinds of food you like prepared in a way that suits your lifestyle (can you say fast and easy?).
- GET A CHECKUP — Apart from personal training in Woodbridge, make sure you are proactive with the rest of your health. See your doctor once a year (more if you have specific concerns) and have a dental check-up every six months. These preventative measures will put you in a better position to deal with anything that might come up or before it ever develops.
- COMMUNICATE — If you’re feeling like your trainer isn’t pushing you hard enough (or too hard), make sure they know. By communicating with them and providing them with feedback, they will be better prepared to alter your program to better suit your needs. Remember, their education is in physical fitness, not reading minds!